Thursday, October 30, 2008

Can Two Cultures Work Together?

Key Point # 12: We should assist ethnic believers where it is necessary but always allow them to have ownership of their own passion and ministry.

Have you found a way for church members from two or more cultural backgrounds to serve in harmony? Let’s talk about it. Post your comments below.

Often we think we know best how people in another culture should serve Christ.

Has someone tried to help you when you didn’t need it? Sometimes a person tries to give help that doesn’t fit the need. I know I feel the most successful when someone assures me that I can find the answer and then he praises me for work well done.

I heard a two year old girl say, "I can do it myself if you help me." It is always a better partnership if we help when asked, especially when two or more cultures are involved. I found that my American ways did not always work when trying to help Asians. True, we need to teach the Scriptures but allow a person freedom to trust the Spirit of God to lead."

God’s plan is seen in 1Cor. 12:4 – 7, “Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.”

If I insist on my way, especially when I don’t understand all of the conditions, I will rob the other person of his ownership and blessing. This is really hard when I feel time and convenience is at stake.

Let’s take time to hear before expecting to be heard.

The work of God is best done when there is unity in the body of Christ and we proclaim the Word of God without prejudice toward one another or the people we seek to win.

God’s challenge to me is to assist American churches to win the millions of people from other nations. They now live next door. If we respect and encourage them I believe they could send or take the Gospel to their homeland.


Post a comment here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's now the day after the election and say what you will about the various policies of both political parties. I think we might be able to find encouragement about the abilities of cultures to work together with the election of Obama an African-American as President. Will the next four years help to open up the church's eyes to working together with those of like faith and practice but different ethnicity? Only time will tell.