Friday, August 22, 2008

The World Has Changed; Are You Adjusting Or Maintaining?

God’s plan for redeeming man has not changed but many of the national, communication, economic, travel and language barriers have been revolutionized.

This is the second point of 13 “Key Talking Points” to present the Ethnic to Ethnic Ministries concept. First, the Great Commission Has Not Changed! [that was last week]

Therefore, have we and will we need to change methodology to more effectively help people understand the offer of forgiveness and hope in Jesus Christ?

National. The names of nations and political leaders seem to change each day. Not once have I heard that they are more inviting to the Biblical message. How do you share the Gospel where you are not wanted?

Communication. I am using communication systems that no one dreamed of when I was born and then there are new ones they offer every day which I can’t understand. Today, you don’t even have to sit in a classroom to study for a degree. Person to person is still needed but this means restrictions can be broken.

Economic. Our dollar has less value, international trade is changing, the cost of sending U S missionaries has increased almost like our national debt, and the cost of doing anything has gone up. Think of how dependent you are on Internet and this is a new cost in the last decade.

Travel. Here again we can go further but at the same time there are more security restrictions, especially in the last seven years.

Language. More people are bi-lingual and English is more universal. Computerized translations increase but even so there are still 16.000 people groups.

Conclusion: American’s have to accept that winning the world must be shared with believers who can identify with their homeland and use the new methods. Nearly all of these people groups reside next to or near you and your church. Will we and can we win them to Christ so they can send or take to Gospel to lands American’s can’t go?

More next week. Please respond and join me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tremendous points all, Brother,
I spent a little over a year as the Director of Development of a mission (about 80+staff), whose mission it was and is to train in-country natives as missionaries. Both the theory and practice are quite sound I found out. They can come to the US to get further training, but we didn't have to raise $30,000 to $50,000 to get them launched (Plus monthly support).

The 'basic' sending mindset of missions is changing. As a member of the Missions Committee of a medium-sized church of right at 1000, we sponsor 25% of the support of both members of our church who feel our Lord has called them to long-term missions AND 25% of short-term mission trips. I support what you say, brother Eldon.

As for me, having been called to the business world for the last 35 years, I am looking to construct a self-sustaining ministry for believers who are business owners (I call them Tentmakers) who are committed to being surrendered and serving our Lord in and through that business.

If anyone would want to give me some constructive critique, I would welcome it! Check out
www.TentmakersNetwork.org

I really appreciate your heart, Eldon.

Jean Bercky said...

Brother Eldon,Thanks for sharing your vision with us. I am from Burundi and live in Washington DC. I worship at Calvary Baptist Church in Alexandria,Virginia.

Adjusting to change in the global environment is a challenge we all face.For those of us immigrant- believers in Christ,it should come as naturally to reach out to people from our nations.However,sometimes the pursuit of worldly causes-especially the"American dream" can come into collision with the great commission;it's a sad truth. However, with such a vision and encouragement,we pray for more grace to trust Christ and find God's will for our lives especially in sharing the gospel with those who are lost.
Please pray for me as I seek God's guidance to share the good news with many others. Here in Washington DC areas, there are various ministries for East and West African communities, I get invited from time to time and I pray for wisdom and guidance in helping.

One major issue to contend with in ethnic ministries will be the exclusive nature of the ethnic concept whereby people tend to isolate themselves into their enclave and forget that we are all part of one church of Christ.

I am praying about helping a ministry of people from Rwanda and Burundi-speaking the same native language. Thanks for sharing your vision and please continue to pray for me as I seek God's perfect will.

In Christ

Jean B Manirakiza
Calvary Baptist Church of Alexandria,VA

greglong said...

Grandpa,

Thanks for your thoughts. They are stimulating. I will continue to read.